6.23.2011

Hereafter (2010)


As the title suggests, 'Hereafter' deals with the theme of afterlife. I usually love movies with this type of fantasy theme, so naturally I was excited to check out this movie. Plus Clint Eastwood directed it and Matt Damon is a bad ass, so it can't be that bad, right?
'Hereafter' follows the lives of three main characters and the way in which death has affected each one of them. After a near death experience as a child, George (Matt Damon) develops a special gift/curse which allows him to communicate with people in the afterlife. He spends most of his life using his power to do readings for people longing to talk to lost loved ones. However, his ability becomes too much of a burden for him to handle. Wanting to live a normal life, he choses a reclusive lifestyle in order to escape from his past. Marie( Cecile De France) is a French reporter who experiences a near death experience and has an out of the body experience. When she is brought back to life, the haunting images of her experience of afterlife is too much to forget. She becomes obsessed with the concept of afterlife. The third storyline revolves around two young twin boys. When one of the brother suffers a terrible accident and dies, the remaining bother goes on a search to find ways to communicate with his dead brother.
Overall, I was not too impressed by this movie. I'm not saying this movie is terrible, it just didn't grab my attention. It is a well thought out movie with coherent story lines, but I just couldn't get into the movie. I found myself getting bored, maybe because the storyline is very easy to predict. That's just never a good sign. So, here's my warning, watching this movie may bore you to death. See what I did there. Boom.


IMDB-6.7/10
Metascore- 56/100
Rotten Tomatoes- Critics- 46%, Audience-41%
Yong's Rating- 2/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment